Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Pocket Cards

I made these cards awhile ago but just put them aside while I waited for the perfect stamp set and occasion.  My niece had a tea party for her birthday and when I received the Tea Party stamp set, I knew it would be perfect for these cards.


Check out the Tea Party stamp set by Lila Grey Stamps by clicking here.


I should have taken a photo of the cards without the embellishments, but I always forget about the "before".


Anyhow, to make these cards, I grabbed a plan white 12x12 piece of cardstock.  The thicker the better.  I normally buy mine from Stampin' Up.  I really love their quality and thickness of cardstock.


With that, I used paint, inks, distress inks, markers, book pages, washi tape, etc. to come up with the random background.  Once I was happy with the final product, I cut three 4x12" strips.  Those strips I cut into three 4x6 cards and six 3x4" cards; rounded the corners and then it's time to embellish.


Here is a photo of all the cards:


Some close ups:





Techniques:
Stacking Tea Cups:  I used a masking technique to stamp the cup on top of each other.  I stamped the bottom cup on the card and another one on a piece of scrap paper.  I cut out the image on the scrap paper and placed it on top of the cup on the card.  From there, I stamped the second cup in the first cup.  As you can see, the saucer and bottom portion of the stamp does not appear on the final project card.  Once I did that, I used white acrylic paint to paint around the cup.  This allows the cups to pop.


Cupcake:  Paper pieced the cupcake.  I stamped the image onto different colors/types of scrap paper.  Cut out the portions I wanted and adhered them to one image.


Journaling Spots:  I used white acrylic paint to create an area for journaling and then drew lines with a pen.  Easy peasy!


Flowers Patterned Paper:  Make your own patterned paper by stamping the same image randomly on the card.  This was done with the flower image.  I then highlighted the flowers with marker, added dots and other small embellishments.


Each of these cards can be used alone or to add a photo or journaling.  I feel I embellished them enough to where I won't need to add more to them. 


FYI:  Pocket cards can also be used for card fronts.  They are not only for pocket pages in your scrapbook album.


I love the idea of making your own pocket cards.  If you are interested in pocket pages, check out my pages from our trip to Orlando (safari).  I had so much fun making this album.  You can fit so many more photos on each page and once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun.  BTW, the cards that I used for the Animal Kingdom Safari photos were also made a similar way.  I couldn't find anything that worked so I made my own.  The base of these cards was a piece of patterned paper that I knew I was never going to use.  It already had a mixed media vibe so it worked out perfect.  Don't you love that! 

1 comment:

  1. They all look amazing!! I love the colors and designs of each one!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your comments. I love sharing my projects with you and hope to encourage you to create things on your own. Thanks again!